26 April 2009

5CC Success!

I was house sitting this weekend - the past two weekends actually - and so I took my writing projects with me. I took the story I'm currently working on, a manuscript I'm reading for a friend, a book on self-editing, and, naturally, one of the novels I'm reading right now.

Last weekend wasn't that great. I got work done, but not a lot. I was in a spot where I felt stuck and it was a little like getting out of quicksand or tar. I knew where I wanted to go; I just wasn't getting from point A to point B.

Then I remembered a technique an author (I'm pretty sure it was Kathi Appelt) shared at a writing conference I attended last year. I can't remember what she called it, but the idea was that you time yourself for five minutes and you have to keep writing - no matter what. She even gave us permission to write nonsense. The only rule was that we had to keep writing something.

Well, at the conference all I did write was nonsense during this exercise. I went back to my hotel and threw my scribblings away.

But this past weekend I figured it couldn't hurt to try again. After all, I was stuck anyways, right? So I did it, rather we did it - my fellow writer and I. I introduced the idea to her as a 5-minute constant click (5CC) because we were both typing. We had to hear the click of our keyboards for the entire 5 minutes. And we used the technique more than once. We did it a couple of times when we felt that we were slowing down. And, after many "la la la la la's" and a little bit of “Old MacDonald Had a Farm” it really worked. It worked so well, in fact, that I was able to complete five chapters on my manuscript this weekend.

I was so excited. I guess the moral of this story is never to underestimate the technique someone hands you just because it didn't work the first time. Thanks, Kathi Appelt!

1 comment:

Berry said...

This idea did work very well for us. I'm glad we got some good work done these last couple of weekends! I'm looking forward to more writing time with you!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones