17 February 2011

2011 Debut Author Challenge

This year I've decided to participate in The Story Siren's 2011 Debut Author Challenge by reading at least 12 YA/Middle Grade debut authors before the year's out and posting a review of each of the 12 books.  All the books must be 2011 releases and the first YA/middle grade title by that author. Yes, that means if it's an author who has been published previously -- just not as YA or middle grade -- then they still qualify.

I decided to start after a co-worker of mine signed-up and was talking to me about one of the books she'd read as part of the challenge - Unearthly by Cynthia Hand.  She absolutely loved it and told me all about it.  She hadn't been able to put it down.  It is on my reading list, I'll just read it after I've had enough time to forget the storyline.

As for my list -- I think I've found more than enough in just the first three months of releases.  There are so many that look like great reads.

Hmmm.  So little time.

But I've narrowed it to a few to start with and I'll go from there.  Here's the first seven I'm planning on reading:

Warped by Maurissa Guibord
The False Princess by Eilis O'Neal
The Visconti House by Elsbeth Edgar
Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys
End of the Line by Angela Cerrito
Clarity by Kim Harrington
Timeless by Alexandra Monir

(Lists of releases are on The Story Siren site.)

I can't promise I won't change my mind and read a different one instead, but these all sounded awfully good to me. I've never done a challenge like this so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that slow-reader-me will make it to the end in time.  At any rate I'll do my best and I'm hoping this will make me better aware of what's currently getting published in the YA area.  I think this is going to be a wonderful experience and I'm excited to get started - as soon as I finish Clara and Mr. Tiffany by Susan Vreeland!  :)

I'll keep you posted along the way.  If you'd like to sign-up for the challenge, you have until 1 March 2011 to post a link announcing your participation and sign-up at The Story Siren.

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones