06 May 2011

Book Review: Clarity

New York : Point, 2011.
I started this book with a smile on my face--liked the touch of humor the author added to kick start the story.

Clarity by Kim Harrington was a really fun read and, as a murder mystery, one of my favorite genres.  Harrington's characters were well created, each of them tying into the web of mystery surrounding the tourist town of Eastport, Massachusetts and the young psychic, Clarity Fern.

I think Harrington is very good storyteller; I didn't want to put it down till I got to the end, even though I had a pretty good guess at who was behind things just a little past halfway.  I wanted to see how all the details worked out and see how the relationships turned out in the end.  I was a little surprised at the ending and found my guess at the solution of the murder was only partly right.

I started Tuesday night and had been reading a chapter or two before bed, but then, since I didn't have to work today, I stayed in bed and read till it was finished.  It made for a very enjoyable day.

I chose this as one of the books I'd read for the 2011 Debut Author Challenge because it was a mystery involving special abilities and I wanted to see what else was being published in the area, as that's the subject of the first draft I just completed about a month ago.  Although this book was quite different in the type of ability, it was interesting to see how Harrington dealt with different types of issues, such as showing Clare's visions and people's reactions to her abilities.

I really enjoyed the book and was please when the last few pages screamed "Sequel!".  If there is one to come, I'll be in line for it.

3 comments:

Julie Daines said...

Sounds like another interesting book. I'm getting behind in my reading trying to get ready for the conferences this spring.

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Hi, Elizabeth! Ooh, great review! I hope my book screams sequel too! :D I'd be in trouble, though, cuz I have no idea how!

Can Alex save Winter from the darkness that hunts her?
YA Paranormal Romance Darkspell coming fall of 2011!

♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥
www.authorelizabethmueller.com
facebook
Twitter
Goodreads

Elizabeth Schow said...

I'm sure you'd come up with something really fun and intriguing, Elizabeth.

Wow, it won't be long before your book is out there - how exciting!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones