30 January 2012

Book Review: London Boulevard

New York : Minotaur Books, 2011, c2001.
I've been meaning to try out Ken Bruen's writing for several years and a week ago Saturday I finally did, starting with London Boulevard.

Not sure why I waited so long; I've been missing out.

Bruen's style is really unique and it made for a really great read.  The narrative had me quickly interested and oddly comfortable in the company of the main character, a man I probably wouldn't be comfortable walking down the street with and I certainly wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of.

His name is Mitch and the book begins with his release from prison after serving a three year sentence.  If he didn't earn the time he spent behind bars before the book started, it was only a matter of hours after his release that he started to.  But I couldn't help but like him as his story unfolded and I learned more about his past and his relationships with those closest to him.

The plot is tightly woven and complex with a variety of fascinating characters.  I spent the better part of the book wanting to know more about the character named Jordan - his past and how he came to be where he was throughout the book.  Jordan only became more of a curiosity as the book went on and in the end I was still left wondering about many of the details surrounding the intriguing butler/husband.

I'd definitely recommend this book for style, plot, and character development.  It's a great read and a quick one too, but it's not for the faint of heart.  If you like mystery/crime stories classified more as 'hard-boiled', you're in luck -  this one's for you.

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones